Hull’s huge A63 Castle Street upgrade takes…

Hull’s huge A63 Castle Street upgrade takes next step
2020-06-18 10:58:00
The £355 million upgrade of Hull’s ‘main entrance’ will provide opportunities for local businesses. Highways England will receive the formal Development Consent Order for the huge A63 Castle Street project on Thursday, June 18. The complete transformation of Mytongate junction is the focal point of the massive scheme, and the agency is now working with contractor Balfour Beatty and Hull City Council to ensure economic benefit in the build, as well as the result, reports Business Live. And it is a familiar location for senior project manager James Leeming – who spent two years as a traffic consultant with Hull City Council two decades ago – while unusual in nature for Highways England. Mr Leeming, who is also the Yorkshire and Humber regional chair of the Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation, said: “It is a really unique, challenging scheme. Video Loading Video Unavailable Click to play Tap to play The video will start in8Cancel Play now “When you drive on the strategic network, most of the time you are nowhere near a city centre, on the likes of the M1 and A1. This project goes right through the middle of a city. “The one thing everyone knows is that you cannot shut the A63 in the daytime. The city centre cannot cope with it. If we do need to close the road it will be night time and weekends. “We are also working with the city council to get their network up to scratch before the main underpass work starts. “For the first 18 months not many people will notice a difference, it will be isolated elements of improvement.” Immediate work has seen the discharging of conditions in relation to the order, which comes into effect today. “It will be split into two,” Mr Leeming said of the project he has been involved with for three years, with others many more before. It was given financial backing in Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s first Budget back in March, with the consent from the Secretary of State for Transport, Grant Shapps, following late last month. What lies beneath the area has been the initial focus, and that continues. “The first 18 months to two years will be the mobilisation period,” Mr Leeming said, with Trinity Burial Ground a key factor, but not the only city subterranean legacy. Images of how the £355m A63 Castle Street upgrade will look when complete “We have careful exhumation and reburial work, the removal of pipes and KCom infrastructure, with a large sewer diversion, and lots of other pipes and cables that need to be moved to clear the way. “There will be a lot of accommodation works, access roads, and the closure of roads in Old Town. “We are nearing completion on the bridge now, then there’s another bridge at Porter Street, for full cycle and pedestrian use again. “Then it comes to the underpass. It will involve the creation of a huge
SEE FULL ARTICLE

Keeping ahead of COVID-19

This rapidly evolving corona virus (COVID-19) has imposed an unsettling situation upon our community and its businesses. While we are maintaining to operate a "business as usual" approach, we are taking a number of changes to help protect both you as customers and us as drivers during these difficult times. All of our vehicles are sanitised before and after each journey / dividing screens fitted to separate the rear of the vehicle. We also offer delivery services for local businesses to help get essential items to local customers as well as across the UK.